Adventures in China: Day 24

Day 24: More Beach, Please!

We slept in. Like really slept in. Until 10:30. It was glorious. As we were getting ready, we heard drums playing outside. I couldn’t see what was going on from my window, except that it was in front of the hotel. So I grab the camera and hurry down. Right as I grabbed the keycard out of the slot (oh, in order to get power in your room you have to put your room key in a certain slot), a ton of noise like gunshots happens. It took me a minute to figure out it was coming from outside and not a reaction to me pulling out the keycard. Lolz. I run to the window and there’s this HUGE heart on the ground made out of firecrackers. It had been set off right as I pulled my card out. Har har. So now I’m really curious. I go down, and found …


It was a wedding party arriving at the hotel! Holy cow. I was not expecting that! It was BEAUTIFUL! And crazy. And extravagant. A blowup rainbow, a personal drumline, and cannons that shot rose petals. That’s right, rose petals. Watch this video.

We had to get a cheezy pic under the rainbow that said “su happy”. No, that is not a typo on my part.


After we were ready, it was lunchtime, so we ate, then made plans with Ellie to go to the beach. We stopped for a latte at the coffee/wine shop right next to the hotel. This wasn’t the one across the street, but right next door to the hotel/theater. Well, actually a part of it, but not owned by it. Anyway.


It was also a wine shop with these amazing tasting rooms in the back.


With a latte in hand, we walk down the beach with no plans but to simply walk along the shore.


After a very relaxing time there, we decided that a glass of wine on the patio at Cheers sounded lovely.


Get excited, Serene. One of those little seashell turtles on the table is for you. The one with the pink hat, of course.

“Cheers!” at Cheers.


Phil went back to take a nap in the room, and I went back to the beach to take a nap there again. Didn’t really care about the staring this time. I woke up, went back, changed, walked over to Deja Vu. I ordered a coffee and a bagel, then sat outside and blogged via their free wifi. Then it was show, dinner, and then Phil and the tech crew left for the next city. They would drive tonight, get in at 1am or so, then get to sleep a good 7 or so hours before going to the theater. Otherwise they would have had to leave super early in the morning and go straight to the theater. Everyone is kind of wired after the show, so leaving right away was the better option for them.

I kissed him goodbye and then went … can you guess? Over to Cheers with some of the girls. They had this Australian Shiraz that just kept us coming back.

Published by

Jenny Cain

Spunky musician, artist, seamstress and horticulturalist. More about Jenny...